Associate Professor of Mathematics
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Associate Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 242 Physics Bldg, 120 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2875
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2009
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IMA Prize in Mathematics and its Applications. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. 2017
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2015
- Sloan Research Fellowship. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2013
- Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship. Princeton University. 2008
- MATH 356: Elementary Differential Equations
- MATH 375: Introduction to Linear Programming and Game Theory
- MATH 631: Real Analysis
- MATH 660: Numerical Partial Differential Equations
- MATH 690-70: Topics in Applied Mathematics
- MATH 757: Introduction to Linear Programming and Game Theory
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
In the News
- Pratt Researchers to Harness Computational Power to Solve Time-Intensive Calculations (Jul 10, 2015)
- Sloan Foundation Names Charbonneau, Lu as 2013 Research Fellows (Feb 15, 2013)
- Delgadillo, R; Lu, J; Yang, X, Frozen Gaussian approximation for high frequency wave propagation in periodic media, Asymptotic Analysis, vol 110 no. 3-4 (2018), pp. 113-135 [10.3233/asy-181479] [abs].
- Chen, H; Lu, J; Ortner, C, Thermodynamic Limit of Crystal Defects with Finite Temperature Tight Binding, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, vol 230 no. 2 (2018), pp. 701-733 [10.1007/s00205-018-1256-y] [abs].
- Cao, Y; Lu, J, Stochastic dynamical low-rank approximation method, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 372 (2018), pp. 564-586 [10.1016/j.jcp.2018.06.058] [abs].
- Li, X; Liu, J; Lu, J; Zhou, X, Moderate deviation for random elliptic PDE with small noise, The Annals of Applied Probability, vol 28 no. 5 (2018), pp. 2781-2813 [10.1214/17-aap1373] [abs].
- Huang, Y; Lu, J; Ming, P, A Concurrent Global–Local Numerical Method for Multiscale PDEs, Journal of Scientific Computing, vol 76 no. 2 (2018), pp. 1188-1215 [10.1007/s10915-018-0662-5] [abs].