Associate Professor of Mathematics
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Office Location: 242 Physics Bldg, 120 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2875
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2009
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IMA Prize in Mathematics and its Applications. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. 2017
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2015
- Sloan Research Fellowship. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2013
- Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship. Princeton University. 2008
- MATH 356: Elementary Differential Equations
- MATH 375: Introduction to Linear Programming and Game Theory
- MATH 631: Measure and Integration
- MATH 660: Numerical Partial Differential Equations
- MATH 690-70: Topics in Applied Mathematics
- MATH 757: Introduction to Linear Programming and Game Theory
- MATH 790-90: Minicourse in Advanced Topics
In the News
- Pratt Researchers to Harness Computational Power to Solve Time-Intensive Calculations (Jul 10, 2015)
- Sloan Foundation Names Charbonneau, Lu as 2013 Research Fellows (Feb 15, 2013)
- Chen, H; Li, Q; Lu, J, A numerical method for coupling the BGK model and Euler equations through the linearized Knudsen layer, Journal of Computational Physics, vol 398 (2019) [10.1016/j.jcp.2019.108893] [abs].
- Lu, J; Sogge, CD; Steinerberger, S, Approximating pointwise products of Laplacian eigenfunctions, Journal of Functional Analysis, vol 277 no. 9 (2019), pp. 3271-3282 [10.1016/j.jfa.2019.05.025] [abs].
- Cao, Y; Lu, J; Lu, Y, Exponential Decay of Rényi Divergence Under Fokker–Planck Equations, Journal of Statistical Physics, vol 176 no. 5 (2019), pp. 1172-1184 [10.1007/s10955-019-02339-8] [abs].
- Liu, JG; Lu, J; Margetis, D; Marzuola, JL, Asymmetry in crystal facet dynamics of homoepitaxy by a continuum model, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 393 (2019), pp. 54-67 [10.1016/j.physd.2019.01.004] [abs].
- Wang, Z; Li, Y; Lu, J, Coordinate Descent Full Configuration Interaction., Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, vol 15 no. 6 (2019), pp. 3558-3569 [10.1021/acs.jctc.9b00138] [abs].